Want to expand your professional reach on LinkedIn the organic way? Then hashtags are for you. By using the right hashtags, you can connect with like-minded professionals, showcase your expertise, and stay up-to-date on the latest industry trends. Not to mention, hashtags help you build an audience and even find some qualified leads!
In this blog post, you’ll learn exactly how you can bring hashtags into your content strategy. You’ll learn how many to use, when to post, and a list of the best 30 hashtags for engineers.
Table of Contents
The Benefits of Using Hashtags on LinkedIn
As a professional social media platform, LinkedIn is a great place for individuals to connect with colleagues, peers, and potential customers. But with over 900 million users, it’s difficult to stand out. That’s where hashtags come in.
One of the key benefits of using hashtags on LinkedIn is that they allow you to join conversations and communities that are relevant to your industry or interests. For example, if you work in marketing, you might use hashtags like #marketingtips, #digitalmarketing, or #contentmarketing. This will help your posts show up in relevant search results as well as in the feeds of those who follow these hashtags.
Second, hashtags can help you establish your LinkedIn profile as a thought leader in your niche. By consistently sharing valuable and relevant content on popular hashtags, you can position yourself as an expert in your field. This can lead to new opportunities, such as speaking engagements, guest blog posts, or even job offers.
When using hashtags on your LinkedIn page, you’re able to track and measure the success of your posts easily. Using LinkedIn Analytics, you can see which hashtags are driving the most engagement and impressions. That way, you know which hashtags to continue using v.s. which ones to stop.
Lastly, hashtags help you organize your posts. This is especially helpful if you’re writing longer posts that work together to inform your audience about a subject. By using the same hashtags, all of your posts about a topic can be found in the same spot.
Hashtags aren’t the only thing you should be using on your LinkedIn page – certifications are important too!
30 LinkedIn Hashtags About Engineering
Here are our top 30 LinkedIn hashtags in the engineering niche. We’ve included a wide range of hashtags with broad follower counts. That way, you can target large trending hashtags as well as more individualized ones.
Best Practices for Using Hashtags on LinkedIn
If you want the most engagement, then you need to be using hashtags correctly. And no, we don’t mean cramming as many hashtags as you can into one post. Here are some tips:
- Be strategic: Before using hashtags, it’s crucial to identify your target audience and understand the topics they are interested in. Research popular and relevant hashtags in your industry or niche – as well as the number of followers for each hashtag.
- Use LinkedIn-specific hashtags: While cross-platform hashtags can work, it’s beneficial to leverage hashtags that are specific to LinkedIn. Explore hashtags that are trending within the LinkedIn community and align them with your content.
- Keep it relevant: Make sure your hashtags are directly related to the content you’re sharing. Irrelevant or spammy hashtags can harm your professional reputation and decrease engagement. Choose hashtags that accurately describe the topic, industry, or theme of your post.
- Limit the number of hashtags: While platforms like Instagram encourage the use of numerous hashtags, LinkedIn has a more professional tone. It’s recommended to use fewer hashtags, typically between three to five per post.
- Create your own branded hashtags: Branded hashtags are a great way to build a unique identity and promote your personal or company brand on LinkedIn. Create a hashtag that represents your brand and consistently use it in your posts. Additionally, we recommend that you encourage others to use it when sharing content related to your brand!
- Experiment with niche hashtags: Alongside popular hashtags, explore niche or industry-specific hashtags that cater to a more targeted audience. Niche hashtags may have a smaller reach but can significantly increase the quality of engagement and connections you make on LinkedIn.
- Stay up to date with trends: LinkedIn, like any other social media platform, is constantly evolving. Stay informed about the latest trends, topics, and hashtags in your industry. Being aware of the latest buzz can help you stay relevant and generate timely content that resonates with your target audience.
Leave more of your daily tasks to automation. Here are some of our favorite AI tools for scheduling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few FAQs about hashtags on LinkedIn to hopefully answer any confusion you might have.
LinkedIn recommends using anywhere from 2 to 5 hashtags per post. Even though users can follow hashtags, if you add more than five, your post will not receive more engagement than a hashtag with only two hashtags. As with anything, use quality over quantity.
Yes, you can create your own hashtags on LinkedIn. To do so, type the number sign (#) followed by the hashtag you’d like to use. You should note, however, that a hashtag you create won’t have any followers, and you may not receive any traffic from it.
To keep things fresh, we recommend switching your hashtags on every post. With that being said, once you discover which hashtags bring you the most engagement, continue using those. As trends change, so does the popularity of hashtags.
In conclusion, leveraging the power of hashtags on LinkedIn can greatly benefit your engagement. By incorporating relevant and strategic hashtags into your LinkedIn posts, you can expand your reach, connect with like-minded individuals, and stay up to date with the latest industry trends.
Now it’s time to go out there and put your hashtag strategy to the test.
If you want to continue learning about lead-gen and LinkedIn, then check out our blog.