You might hear the word hashtag and think of early 2000s Instagram, but we promise it’s not like that anymore. Hashtags are still being used today, and they work well. This is especially true on LinkedIn. That’s why today we’re talking about LinkedIn hashtags for prospecting…
Table of Contents
- Why Hashtags and Why on LinkedIn?
- So… What Hashtags Should You Use?
- How To Use Hashtags for Maximum Engagement
- How To Measure the Success of Your Hashtags
- Examples of Effective LinkedIn Hashtag Prospecting
Why Hashtags and Why on LinkedIn?
It’s a fair question. Sometimes it seems like hashtags don’t do much – but, if you’re noticing any growth when using them, you’re probably not using the right hashtag. If you don’t what hashtags are, though, we should probably back up… In short, hashtags are keywords or phrases that help organize content. Just like on other social platforms, hashtags on LinkedIn help users discover and engage with relevant topics, making them a valuable tool for prospecting.
But why should you care about hashtags for prospecting? Well, think of them as virtual breadcrumbs that lead your ideal prospects to you. By using targeted hashtags in your content, you increase its visibility and attract the attention of your target audience, or anyone who is interested in your topic.
If you’re looking to boost leads, then you’ve come to the right place – find hidden leads here.
So… What Hashtags Should You Use?
The biggest question when using hashtags is the same: what hashtags should you use? Luckily, it’s not that difficult to create a list of relevant and engaging hashtags. Here’s what we recommend:
- Start by identifying industry-specific hashtags that are commonly used by professionals in your niche. Look for hashtags that are popular and actively followed by your target audience. A simple search on LinkedIn can provide you with insights into the most relevant hashtags related to your industry.
- Create a list of the hashtags you find that you think are relevant. Pay attention to the hashtags that LinkedIn suggests as you type in your search query. These suggestions are based on the popularity and engagement of hashtags within your network and industry.
- We also recommend keeping an eye on trending hashtags. If these relate to your industry, you can ride the wave of engagement and capture the attention of a broader audience.
If engagement is what you’re searching for, you should optimize your profile.
How To Use Hashtags for Maximum Engagement
Now that you’ve identified relevant hashtags, it’s time to optimize your hashtag usage for maximum impact. Here’s what we think you should do:
1. Mix Broad and Specific Hashtags
When selecting hashtags, there’s a fine line between using too broad and too specific ones. On one hand, broad hashtags attract a larger audience but may have more competition. That means that unless your post performs well, it may be lost in the sea of other posts using the same hashtag.
On the other hand, specific hashtags allow you to reach a more targeted audience, although the reach might be smaller. If the hashtag has too small of a reach, nobody will see your post, no matter how well it performs.
2. Only Use 3 Hashtags Per Post
While hashtags are essential, it’s crucial not to go overboard. Overloading your posts with hashtags can make them look spammy and desperate for attention. In fact, LinkedIn recommends using 3 hashtags per post. While you can increase that and use, say, 5, the highest engagement is found when using fewer hashtags.
Just like your content strategy, your hashtag usage should be the same – quality over quantity.
3. Naturally Incorporate Your Hashtags
You see a lot of LinkedIn posts with the hashtags all the way at the bottom of the post. Sure. this works, but it doesn’t look great as an incorporated hashtag. Here’s a good example:
4. Monitor and Adapt Your Hashtags
Hashtags are like constant trends. It’s an ever-changing landscape with certain tags rising and popularity and others losing popularity. If you want the most engagement, stay up to date with the latest trends and monitor how different hashtags perform.
If you notice a hashtag losing its effectiveness, you’ll need to adapt. Luckily, all that means is removing the low-visibility hashtag and replacing it with newer, more popular hashtags.
How To Measure the Success of Your Hashtags
As with any marketing strategy, it’s crucial to measure the success of your hashtag prospecting efforts. Here are a few metrics to track:
- Reach: Reach is a key engagement to track when using hashtags. Reach refers to the number of people who view your post with the hashtags. The larger the reach, the more effective your hashtag is.
- Engagement: Engagement is another highly important metric to track. If you don’t know, engagement refers to the number of likes, comments, and shares a post has received. You can track both engagement and reach on your LinkedIn analytics page.
- Performance of Different Posts: It can be hard to know what hashtags work and which don’t. The only way to answer this question is by experimenting. What we mean is post consistently, using all different hashtags to see what posts have the highest engagement and reach.
Remember, prospecting on LinkedIn is an ongoing process, and it’s essential to adapt your hashtag usage and strategies based on your engagement. In short, the only way to beat the competition is by continuously adapting – just like you would in a mass messaging campaign.
Examples of Effective LinkedIn Hashtag Prospecting
Here’s a list of some popular (and almost always trending LinkedIn hashtags). Again, we only recommend using three per post.
These are general hashtags that aren’t necessarily industry specific. With that being said, you should combine some of these broader hashtags with more specific ones. Additionally, keep an eye on trending hashtags within your niche, as they can provide opportunities to ride the wave of engagement and reach a broader audience.
In conclusion, hashtags on LinkedIn open up a world of opportunities for prospecting and connecting with your ideal audience. By incorporating popular and relevant hashtags into your content strategy, engaging with prospects through strategic interactions, and leveraging the power of LinkedIn’s professional network, you can establish meaningful connections, drive engagement, and unlock valuable business prospects.
And if you want the highest reach for your LinkedIn profile, you should be using automation. With We-Connect, you can automate outreach messages, profile visits, prospecting campaigns, and organize contact lists. Test out our 14-day free trial right here.