Inclusivity is one of the most important factors in the work environment. What most people don’t know is that you can add pronouns to your LinkedIn profile to foster inclusivity and share your individuality. Additionally, adding your pronouns on LinkedIn is a fantastic way to show your respect for anyone using different pronouns.
In this article, we’ll take you through the steps of adding pronouns to your LinkedIn profile so that you can express your identity and make meaningful connections.
Table of Contents
What are LinkedIn Pronouns?
Using LinkedIn pronouns is a great way to indicate how you would like to be referred to. They make it easy for others to understand how to address you respectfully.
On LinkedIn, pronouns are displayed next to your name on your profile – making them easily visible to your connections and potential employers. This simple change can make a big difference to include those struggling with gender identity.
To stand out, stand in. Seriously, the first thing to become the next LinkedIn influencer is to be accepting. Then you can work on creating a stand-out headline.
Customize Your LinkedIn Profile With Your Preferred Pronouns
As we’ve already mentioned, adding pronouns to your LinkedIn profile is the inclusive thing to do. Even if you use traditional pronouns, adding your preferred pronouns demonstrates your support and awareness of diverse gender identities. If you’re in a customer-facing role or network often, this allows you to connect with a broader group of people.
If you don’t know much about the different pronouns commonly used, don’t worry. We’ll cover them briefly here:
- He/Him/His: Typically, this pronoun is used by those who identify as male.
- She/Her/Hers: Commonly used by individuals who identify as female.
- They/Them/Theirs: Gender-neutral pronouns can be used by those who identify outside of the traditional binary gender spectrum or prefer not to specify their gender.
- Ze/Hir/Hirs: Gender-neutral pronouns that may be used by some individuals who identify outside of the binary gender system.
- Other Custom Pronouns: Some people may prefer to use custom pronouns specific to their gender identity. These can vary greatly, including combinations of existing pronouns or unique pronoun sets.
How To Add Pronouns To Your LinkedIn Profile:
So, you’ve decided that it’s time to add pronouns to your LinkedIn profile – good choice! Here’s how you can do that:
- First, log in to your LinkedIn account and go to your profile.
- Next, click the edit profile icon on the right side of your profile picture.
- Scroll down until you see the Pronouns section right after Name pronunciation.
- Select one of the pre-made pronouns or enter your custom pronouns.
- Finally, hit the “Save” button, and your pronouns will be visible on your LinkedIn profile.
Pronouns make you more approachable. That makes your messaging campaigns that much more effective – learn more here.
Diversity is an essential part of business. As we’ve heard before, a diverse team is a team that’s more collaborative and ultimately more successful. For more stats on the benefits of diversity in the workplace, check Pew Research.
Remember, LinkedIn is not just a platform for professional networking; it’s a place to celebrate our unique identities and foster meaningful relationships. So take the initiative and add your pronouns to your profile.